Barbican announces Boiler Room date feat. Berwyn, Demae, Léa Sen, Mansur Brown, NAYANA IZ, Ojerime
Barbican x Boiler Room
Sun 12 Dec 2021, Barbican Hall, 8pm
Tickets £17.50 – 22.50 plus booking fee
Boiler Room curates an evening of contemporary UK live music with performances by six rising stars in the Barbican Hall, which will also be livestreamed across Boiler Room’s large online community.
From brand-new emerging artists through to the Mercury-nominated, and spanning the sounds of R&B, hip hop, rap, soul and beyond, the line-up includes self-taught musician described as 50% water / 50% music, Berwyn; formerly one-third of Hawk House, Demae who creates soothing soul celebrating black joy and empowerment; musician and producer Léa Sen who returns to the Barbican following her recent guest appearance with Speakers Corner Quartet and whose soft vocals embellish acoustic guitar-based songs; artist, producer and multi-instrumentalist Mansur Brown who runs the label Amai Records; boundary-blurring rap goddess NAYANA IZ; and shining light in the UK’s music scene Ojerime, with her own brand of 90s R&B-inspired gems.
Connecting club culture to the wider world on screen and through parties, film and video, Boiler Room has played host to some of the best DJs and musicians in the world, and supported artists from the underground up. They return to the Barbican’s music programming following 2019’s Dreaming The City – a collaboration with Total Refreshment Centre, which saw over 30 musicians paying tribute to the past, present and future of London’s vibrant jazz scene.
Produced by the Barbican in association with Boiler Room
On sale to Barbican patrons and members on Wed 27 Oct 2021
On general sale on Fri 29 Oct 2021
Find out more
Taylor Mac – Holiday Sauce… Booster!
Fri 10, Fri 17 & Fri 24 Dec 2021, Online, 8pm
Tickets £10 plus booking fee
Holiday traditions are turned riotously on their head by the inimitable Taylor Mac, who manifests a joyous community spirit to celebrate the season in all of its dysfunction.
Holiday Sauce… Booster! blends music, film, burlesque, and random acts of fabulousness in the most subversive and cathartic event of the year. In this virtual reimagining of Taylor Mac’s celebrated annual holiday show, the 2021 edition features new original music and festive classics delightfully deconstructed with the help of a spectacular band led by Music Director Matt Ray and eye-popping costumes by long-time collaborator Machine Dazzle. For this beloved New York theatre artist and 2020 Ibsen Award winner, there is more to the holidays than rampant capitalism and gift giving, and imagination is its own spirituality.
Holiday Sauce… Booster! celebrates the power of chosen family and gives us a chance to honour all the families we choose to love – and who choose to love us – at this time of year.
Holiday Sauce… Booster!
Directed, Written and Concept by Taylor Mac
Music Direction and Arrangement by Matt Ray
Set and Costumes by Machine Dazzle
Fri 10, Fri 17 & Fri 24 Dec 2021
Approximately 1 hour
Holiday Sauce… Booster! contains adult language and sexual content and is intended for mature audiences
£10 plus booking fee
Presented by the Barbican
Produced by Pomegranate Arts and Nature’s Darlings
On sale to Principal Patrons and Barbican Patrons on Wed 27 Oct 2021
On sale to Barbican Members Plus on Thu 28 Oct 2021
On sale to Barbican Members on Fri 29 Oct 2021
On general sale from Mon 1 Nov 2021
Find out more
Saturday 6 November 2021, Barbican Hall, 8pm
Tickets £22.50 – 27.50 plus booking fee
German electronic/techno producer, musician and visual artist, Christian Löffler makes his Barbican debut in November 2021 (rescheduled from May 2020) with a new immersive A/V performance. Sound and visuals will be in a dynamic dialogue featuring material from his latest and fourth studio album Lys (Danish for ‘light’) alongside specially commissioned visuals by Canadian lighting designer Chris Moylan, who has been critically acclaimed for his innovative visual atmospheres.
Support comes from Fejká, whose music treads the line between dreamy soft ambient and the hard punch of techno.
Produced by the Barbican in association with Soundcrash
Coming up soon
- Christian Löffler (Sat 6 November 2021, Barbican Hall, 8pm)
- EFG London Jazz Festival: Archie Shepp & Jason Moran: Let My People Go (Fri 12 Nov 2021, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm)
- EFG London Jazz Festival: Soweto Kinch/London Symphony Orchestra: White Juju (Fri 19 Nov, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm, also livestreamed)
- EFG London Jazz Festival: Charles Lloyd + Nérija (Sat 20 Nov 2021, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm)
- James McVinnie Ensemble: Glassworks (Tue 23 Nov 2021, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm, also livestreamed)
- Sona Jobarteh (Sun 28 Nov 2021,Milton Court Concert Hall, 6.30 & 8.30pm)
- Alfa Mist (Sat 4 Dec 2021, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm)
Coming up in 2022
- London Contemporary Orchestra: 24 (Sat 15 – Fri 16 Jan 2022, Barbican Hall, 6pm – 6pm)
- DakhaBrakha (Thu 20 Jan 2022, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm)
- Maria Schneider Orchestra (Sat 29 Jan 2022, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm)
- Klein (Sun 30 Jan 2022, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm)
- Aoife O’Donovan + Donovan Woods (Wed 2 Feb 2022, Milton Court Concert Hall, 7.30pm)
- Jane Birkin (Sat 5 Feb 2022, Barbican Hall, 8pm)
- Lord Huron (Tue 8 Feb 2022, Barbican Hall, 8pm)
- GoGo Penguin (Thu 10 Feb 2022, Barbican Hall, 8pm, also livestreamed)
- Souad Massi + Ruba Shamshoum (Wed 16 Feb 2022, Barbican Hall, 8pm)
- Nonclassical: listening to place (Sun 20 Feb 2022 Barbican Hall, 7.30pm)
- Damon Albarn: The Nearer the Fountain, More Pure the Stream Flows (Mon 21 & Tue 22 Feb 2022, Barbican Hall, 8pm)
- Keeley Forsyth (Fri 11 Mar 2022, Milton Court Concert Hall, 7.30pm)
- Hamza Namira (Sat 12 Mar 2022, Barbican Hall, 8pm)
- Aldous Harding (Wed 30 & Thu 31 Mar 2022, 8pm)
- Vashti Bunyan (Sat 2 Apr 2022, Barbican Hall, 8pm)
- Circuit des Yeux with LCO Soloists (Wed 6 Apr 2022, Milton Court Concert Hall, 7.30pm)
- Grouper (Thu 14 Apr 2022, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm)
- New Rituals: Ryoichi Kurokawa + Nkisi (Sat 23 Apr 2022, Barbican Hall, 8pm)
- Hermeto Pascoal with the National Youth Jazz Orchestra (Thu 5 May 2022, Barbican Hall, 8pm)
- Shards (Fri 6 May 2022, Milton Court Concert Hall, 7.30pm)
- Hannah Peel and Paraorchestra with Charles Hazlewood (Sat 21 May 2022, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm, also livestreamed)
- Novo Amor (Mon 23 May 2022, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm)
- John McLaughlin (Sat 28 May 2022, Barbican Hall, 8pm)
- William Basinski with the London Contemporary Orchestra: The Disintegration Loops (Thu 9 Jun 2022, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm)
- SFJAZZ Collective: New Works Reflecting the Moment, featuring Gretchen Parlato, Chris Potter, David Sánchez, Etienne Charles, Warren Wolf, Edward Simon, Matt Brewer, Martin Luther McCoy and Kendrick A.D. Scott (Sat 25 Jun 2022, Barbican Hall, 8pm)
- Venus, Cupid, Folly and Time – Thirty Years of The Divine Comedy (Wed 31 Aug – Sun 4 Sep 2022, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm)
- MoodSwing: Joshua Redman, Brad Mehldau, Christian McBride and Brian Blade (Mon 14 Nov 2022, Barbican Hall, 7.30pm)