We are planning new tours. Join our mailing list to find out when new offers become available.
Step behind the scenes and see the Barbican Theatre from a new perspective on our 60 minute Backstage Tour
You’ll learn how the architects incorporated the theatre into the building’s design and hear secrets of past productions as you roam the colourful floors of our backstage labyrinth.
Peek into the stage wings, Green Room, orchestra pit and more in our working theatre. You’ll get a closer look at set design mechanisms and get insight into the technology which makes a show come to life. Highlights include the impressive fly tower - a specialist hoisting system used to switch sets on the stage below.
Taking you up, over and below our renowned stage, our Backstage Tours will give you the opportunity to enjoy a different experience of the theatre.
- Tour duration: 60 minutes
- Collect tickets from the Tickets and Information Desk in the shop
- Suitable for ages 12+
- Present your same day backstage tour ticket at any Benugo outlet in the Barbican to enjoy a coffee and cake for £4.50
- Please note that this is a working theatre and the route is subject to change. There may be glimpses of rehearsals, set changes and other behind-the-scenes action or the theatre may be quiet in-between shows.
- Please be aware that due to the nature of this tour and the age of the building the route is not fully accessible and will be unsuitable for those who require step-free access. If you have any access requirements please contact us in advance at [email protected] or call the box office on 0207 638 8891.
Watch: Theatre taking centre stage
Enjoy a video of our Theatre taking centre stage before the audience have even arrived...
The Barbican Theatre is located within the main Barbican building. Head to Level G and follow the signs to find your seating level.
Silk Street, London
The Barbican is widely accessible by bus, tube, train and by foot or bicycle. Plan your journey and find more route information in ‘Your Visit’ or book your car parking space in advance.
Spaces for wheelchair users in the rear of the Stalls (four) and row B of the upper circle (four), both with companion seats. Row B is reached via a platform lift, and staff will be happy to help you. Seats in the back row of the Stalls are suitable for people with limited mobility.
Assistance dogs may be taken into the theatre – please tell us when booking, to ensure your seat has enough space. If you prefer, you may leave your dog with a member of the cloakroom staff during the performance.
For our occasional BSL-signed performances. Stalls seats close to the signer are reserved for people with hearing impairments. Please book early and ask for these seats.
These display the full text of the play on a screen as the actors speak the words. Seats with the best view of the screen are reserved for people with hearing impairments, so please book early and ask for these seats.
Audio-described performances and amplified sound
Headsets are available from the sales kiosk outside the Stalls Right entrance to the theatre
For more access information, please visit our Accessibility section.