One of our favourite things about Instagram is having the opportunity to see how our visitors see the Barbican and the surrounding area. From the architecture of the high walks and the hidden corners of the foyers to our installations and performances – there are so many angles to the Barbican that can be captured through the lens that help us learn how you see the Barbican.
We are looking for emerging Instagram photographers to become our Instagrammer in Residence for a month as part of a new project that will allow us to showcase the work of our audiences in a digital exhibition around the Barbican and our social channels.
Spanning architecture, performance and street photography, we want to celebrate the many aspects of the Barbican and the surrounding area through a range of photographic styles.
To be in with a chance, submit one photo to Instagram using #barbicanandbeyond @barbicancentre before Friday 9 December 2016. Winners will be notified on Instagram w/c Monday 12 December.
Your photo should be inspired by one of the following briefs:
- Architecture – explore the Barbican Centre and Estate’s unique architecture in imaginative ways
- Performance/Backstage– capture moments from events across our programme
- Video – capture life at the Barbican Centre through short form video
- People – document the people who live, work and pass through the Barbican
If selected as our Instagrammer in Residence, you will be able to choose to either specialise in one or work across them all.
As our Instagrammer in Residence, you’ll receive:
- interview profile on the Barbican Blog
- content regrammed and fully credited on the Barbican Instagram profile
- free architecture and/or backstage tour
- backstage access to rarely seen areas of the Barbican (where possible)
- invitations to private views and selected press photo calls (where applicable in selected month)
- see your work exhibited on the plasma screens throughout the Centre as part of a digital exhibition
- be credited for your work on the Barbican Instagram and through signage on the plasma screen exhibition.
Each month, we'll share a selection of our Instagrammer in Residence photographs on our Instagram feed directing our followers to your feed - and celebrating your work with our audiences.
Our Instagrammers in Residence will be selected by the Barbican and our inaugural Instagrammer in Residence, Tobi Shinobi.
Terms and Conditions
Submissions close on Friday 9 December. One entry per person
Entrants must upload a new photograph for selection – not tag old photographs
Entrants retain all copyright to their photographs but give the Barbican permission to use their photographs (credited) on digital and print promotional materials.
Photographs featured on the Barbican Instagram channel and on the plasma screen/digital exhibition should be of the Barbican and surrounding area.