PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THERE WILL BE NO TICKET SALES AT THE VENUE ON THE NIGHT
Hibernate within the immersive sonic landscape of Sleep as Max Richter presents an overnight performance of his eight-hour piece.
Richter describes Sleep as a ‘lullaby for the modern world’, but this is so much more than music to send you to sleep – this is music to engulf your dreams. A soft piano motif begins the experience as you lay in one of the special beds lining the space. Billowing plumes of ambient electronic drone, string quartets and searching melodies proceed, removing you from any sense of time or place. A ringing soprano brings in the dawn, with a rich, seemingly endless crescendo perfectly matching the sun rising over the Thames through Old Billingsgate’s windows.
Sleep was composed in consultation with neuroscientist David Eagleman to explore the effect of music on subconscious minds. Soundtracking your thoughts as you drift through sleep, it’s an extraordinary piece of music, one that transports you to somewhere between wakefulness and sleep, between lucidity and dreaming, between this world and another.
16+ age restriction
Important information about the performance:
What do I need to bring?
- Your ticket gets you an unreserved camp bed at the venue in your chosen price band. Your bed will not be made up – you should bring a pillow, sleeping bag, duvet or other bedclothes of your choice.
- As part of your ticket, you will be offered water and a light snack. You can also bring additional food items and soft drinks with you to the event if you wish, as long as they are fully sealed before entering the venue.
- There will be a cloakroom on site, but there is not a specific changing room area so please come prepared or change in the toilet facilities.
When does the show start and finish?
Doors will open at 10pm, the performance will start at 11pm and finish at 7am. Latecomers will not be admitted, so please make sure to arrive before the performance starts.
- Please be respectful of your fellow Sleep patrons and the listening experience at all times.
- There is to be no use of mobile phones and flash photography that would disturb the performance.
- This is an alcohol free event – no alcohol will be permitted on site.
- Additional camping equipment will not be permitted inside the venue (bring yourself and bedding only!)
- Security on-site may search you or your bags and non-permitted items will be confiscated.
- If you have a sleeping disorder please contact us before purchasing tickets at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Max Richter: Sleep’.
How to get there
Old Billingsgate is situated right in the heart of City on the River Thames:
Please note: while we encourage cycling, bikes are not allowed inside the venue, and there is limited space to lock up bikes outside of the venue. If you are planning on cycling to the concert please make sure to plan in advance where you will lock up your bike for the duration of the performance.
Still have questions?
Email us at email@example.com with the subject line ‘Max Richter: Sleep’ if you have any further questions.